Sunday, March 1, 2015

Kickstarter Day 12 (17 to go): a Colorado classic and a novel that shouldn't be spoiled

The Labyrinth of Flame's Kickstarter continues its climb toward the interior art stretch goal (right now I'd say we've made it through the Khumbu Icefall and are heading up the Western Cwm toward the Lhotse Face...so still plenty of elevation to gain!).  Today's super busy for me - I'm finishing a day job report, running around getting supplies for my son's upcoming birthday party, writing a guest post, and recording a podcast tonight - so I'm just gonna jump straight to a pic of one of Colorado's 54 fourteeners, the lovely Snowmass Mountain in the Elk Range not far from Aspen:

Snowmass Mountain (the double-pointed peak at left) and surrounding summits
I took the pic while backpacking a 26-mile loop around Colorado's famous Maroon Bells.  The route crosses four passes and has a plethora of gorgeous scenery.  People training for adventure races and ultra-marathons run the route in a day; we spent several, so we could laze about enjoying all the terrific views. 

For today's book rec, being short on time, I'm going with M.R. Carey's The Girl With All the Gifts, because it's a book best read without knowing much about it.  (Seriously, if you haven't read it, DO NOT read reviews or discussion where you might stumble across spoilers! This is a book that deserves to be discovered without any preconceptions on the reader's part, for reasons that will soon become apparent when you read it.)  All I'm going to say is that I found it an intense and moving read, and I heartily recommend you give it a try. 

1 comment: